Friday, December 20, 2013

My Heart is So Full {Guest Post}

{Today, y'all have the opportunity to hear from my wonderful friend, Waverly. She currently blogs at For the Love of Potentially Organized Chaos, where she writes about her life as a college freshman.}





Christmas is no doubt my favorite time of year.  




I love the cold crisp air, the time off of school, searching for the perfect gifts for my loved ones, spending time with my family (despite my occasional urge to throw myself off a cliff), and every other thing that comes with season (trust me this whole post would be a list if I went on).

That being said, there are many people who don't share in this joy like I do.  





For some, the holiday season is filled with pain.  It's a reminder of what they don't have.  It may be a relationship, loved one, or just the resources to provide nice things for the people they love at this time of year.  

I was talking with one of my friends who lost his mother after a long battle with cancer 2 years ago around Christmas time and he told me that it's not really so painful as it was, but it is just a constant uncomfortable itch in the back of his mind: something is missing...it will never be the same...you will never be as happy as you were. 

Personally, I do not have experience with any of these feelings at this point in my life, thank goodness, but when he told me that, my heart broke for him. 

It makes me so negatively emotional to think about all the people I know feeling that way, or anything short of joy during this time, or ever really.  

{not that I'm just this muffin basket of joy everyday, but I definitely want that for others}





PLOT TWIST:

While my world was being shattered by the thought that not everyone is as infatuated with Christmas as I am, my friend told me something else.  
Waverly, I just want what you have. 
Please elaborate, seƱor.   
You're joyful and confident and certain. Your faith is beautiful. I so want to believe in God and heaven and hell and that there is something more than this, but I just don't. I want what you have.
Whoa bro. I'm not like fabulously spiritual or anything, I'm definitely still learning.   

I still don't know why I was so floored by this, but I was.  And after I pressed him a little more for what he meant, I realized that this is real. 

He wants this.




I continued to talk to him, just encouraging him to continue searching and that I could answer/find an answer for all of his questions.  

All this to say, that it's great and all to be joyful and thankful during this time. It's great to remember Christ's birth, life, and even death and resurrection during this time, but what are you going to do about all that? Are you going to sit there and say to yourself, Awwww. Jesus has such a great story... 

That is a great temptation in today's Christian culture – sit back and relax and bask in the glory that is Christmas.




What I'm Not Saying >> Go out to the mall and bible beat people.

What I am saying is that this time of year is a whirlwind of crazy for everyone and people get caught up in it and overlook those people that are hurting. 

Take time to really notice people.  

Ask God to show you people the way he sees them.  

Love people.  

Go out of your way to serve people and show them that someone noticed them.

Sometimes all it takes is a smile and a kind word to turn someone's day around.  

You have no idea what their day has been like.  




Also, semi side note: If you notice something about someone that is good/awesome/cute/etc. 
TELL THEM.  

I'm from the south and we talk to people we don't know.  

"Hey girl, your shoes are SO cute."

When someone tells me I look nice it makes my heart smile. Ask about your cashier's day and listen when they tell you.  It's a much more enjoyable process for everyone when you do that. Although, some people maybe just don't want to talk and that's fine, just be sweet for goodness sake.  




Y'all, as Christians, we have the greatest news ever and at Christmas, we have a great avenue to share! So, what are you going to do about it? 

No comments: