Sunday, September 29, 2013

Relationships with Guys {Part 1}

{After contemplating what I should post next on my blog, I decided to write a 3 part relationship series talking about how to just be friends with guys. I've been working on these posts for the last couple of weeks. I hope you find them helpful and if you have any questions or additional thoughts, feel free to leave them in the comments below! I should also note that I am in no way an expert. I'm just sharing what I have learned about guy friendships the past 3 years!} 

Let's face it. 

Guy relationships are hard sometimes. 


Am I right? 

I know from experience that they can get sticky if you're not too careful.

In order to be friends with guys, it takes an extra amount of work.

It's not always easy, but it's so worth it in the end.

       
 * * * * * * *

I remember 3 1/2 years ago when I was first convicted about my relationships with guys.

I was currently reading Leslie Ludy's book, Answering the Guy Questions: The Set-Apart Girl's Guide to Relating to the Opposite Sex, and through that the LORD had begun teaching me a new and exciting way of how I can just be friends with the guys he had placed in my life.

Honestly, it hasn't always been glamorous and drama free. I have suffered bumps and bruises along the way. But, I am thankful that the LORD granted grace in my life when it comes to relating to guys. 

So, how do you just be friends with guys? 

Well, I believe there are 3 ways we can have God-honoring friendships with the guys God has placed in our lives.

The first one?

1. Prioritize your relationship with Christ. 


Quite frankly, making Jesus #1 in your life will help you as you navigate your earthly relationships, not just guy friendships.

I have come to the realization, over the past couple of years, of how important my relationship with Christ is on this earth.

Because I have been redeemed, rescued, and restored through Christ, I should desire to have a friendship with Him.

Let me back up, I should take advantage of His invitation to be friends with Him so that I can cultivate my relationship with Him. 

As a result, Jesus should come before all the other people in my life.


“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. " 
Matthew 22:37



He is the one I should be running to whenever I have a problem in life. Jesus is the only one who can meet all my needs, satisfy all my desires, and fulfill all my dreams, not a friendship with a guy or girl.


How do I make Jesus #1 in my life, though?

You actively spend time in the Word, in prayer, and in fellowship with people who honor Him in all that they do.

Honestly, if you truly to desire to make Jesus #1 in your life, you will make every effort to do so.

And yes, it will take time.

But, I can promise you this is a relationship worth cultivating.


* * * * * *

How do you strive to make Jesus #1 in your life?

Let me know in the comments below!


I'll be back next week with point #2!

No comments: