Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A Note On Your Calling in Life

As I was studying the Word this morning, D. A. Carson had the following to say about 1 Corinthians 7.

"Unlike pagans and secularists, we cannot make our chief joy turn on marriage, prosperity, or any other temporal things. There are responsible ways for Christians to enjoy these things, or mourn, or be happy–but never as if these things are ultimate." {taken from For the Love of God Vol. 1}

I think often, especially in the Christian homeschooling circles, we place marriage as the end goal for young women. We think that we should raise our daughters to become wives and mothers. When, in reality, that's not what we should be preparing them for.

No, I am not opposed to marriage in anyway. I think marriage was created by God as an earthly picture of His relationship to the church and for the advancement of His kingdom. But, when we elevate that to a higher position than following God's call on our lives, we have a problem.

photo credit: pinterest 

I have learned over the last few years, that my goal in life is not to get married and have a family.

My goal in life is to know God and make Him known in whatever capacity He has placed me.

So, if the LORD chooses for me to have a husband and children, I will gladly accept them.

But, if he doesn't, that's okay.

No where in the Bible does it state that we are less of a man or a woman if we don't get married.

We were created by God to glorify God as an individual.

photo credit: Marvelous Things Photography

Elisabeth Elliot sums it up so eloquently…

"But we do not choose gifts, remember? We are given them by a divine Giver who knows the end from the beginning, and wants above all else to give us the gift of Himself. It is within the sphere of the circumstances He chooses for us – single, married, widowed – that we receive Him. It is there and nowhere else that He makes Himself known to us. It is there we are allowed to serve Him."


So, my charge to you today is this: Serve the LORD wherever He placed you because everyday is truly a gift from Him.

No comments: