Thursday, July 18, 2013

3 Truths I Learned at 18

I turn 19 today.

Honestly, it's scarier than when I turned 18 last year.

Seriously.

Today, I thought I would share with y'all what I learned about God and His character during my 18th year of life.

I learned (and maybe re-learned) three traits about Him.


#1: God is Sovereign.

If you don't know my birth story, I briefly touched on it in this post. Suffice to say, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the Grace of God. I've seen the LORD's sovereignty in my life from the time I was born until now.

I am thankful the LORD led me to many different events and allowed me to meet some amazing people this past year. His Sovereign hand orchestrated each and very detail about my life this past year and for that, I am ever so grateful.


#2: God is Unchangeable.

No matter what comes my way, He is unchanging. He is right there walking through the valleys, climbing the mountains, and standing on the peaks with me.



#3: God is the Ultimate Healer. {The biggest thing I've learned this past year.}

I've been so sick this past year. I had strep throat for two weeks, the stomach bug for three days, allergies on and off, acid reflux (which was and still is painful), the flu for two and a half weeks, more allergies, migraines on a regular basis and the list could go on.

While being sick, I learned to take advantage of the opportunity to fully focus on Christ. In the past, whenever I would lose my voice, I would joke that the LORD wanted me to shut up.

And I think that's the truth.

He really just wanted me to listen to Him. This year, I think He allowed the sickness so, I would learn to trust in His strength and experience His grace.

Did I mention I had strep throat at TeenPact Congress or the flu at Passion 2013?

While Congress was incredible, it was also incredibly hard to get through. The first night I had a major meltdown. I had spent all day traveling and then socializing with so many people that caused me to become mentally and emotionally exhausted.

It was bad.

Throughout the rest of the week, I learned to rely on Christ to get me through each day. By His grace and through His power, I was able to enjoy and survive the week. Plus, it was TeenPact Leg on steroids. Who doesn't love that?!


The night before Passion 2013, I didn't feel good. {And it wasn't because LSU lost to Clemson over a stupid field goal. We can talk about that later. ;) }

I was having major anxiety about being around 60,000 people while having the early symptoms of the flu. {Okay, maybe I was a little upset about the game but, you get the picture.}

I barely survived those four brutal days. You can click here to see what I learned at Passion. And I encourage you to listen/watch Francis Chan's talk. So good.


On the spiritual aspect, I watched one of my dearest friends walk through the depths of depression. It was really hard to see someone I love so much walk through such pain. I learned that God will heal my friend in His time. I just need to trust in Him and not in myself. I don't need to help Him when it comes to this task. I've learned to just be a friend; to not offer advice, just to be present. Slowly but surely, she is climbing out of the valley up the mountain.


So, that's what I learned this year.


God is Sovereign, Unchanging, and the Ultimate Healer.

Here's to year 19! :)


No comments: